Monday, November 23, 2009

Arrival/day one in Deutschland

After a very short one hour plane trip that I slept through quite comfortably, I arrived at the Frankfurt-Hahn airport. The first thing I noticed was that it was quite a bit colder than Florence (but still warm for a night in mid-November). I called my friend Florian who was running a bit late because someone had slashed his tires, and he said he would be arriving in about 10 minutes. I'm not sure why but every time I have plans to meet someone I haven't seen in a long time I get slightly nervous (I was even slightly nervous to see my parents when they came) which always makes me feel silly, but I was so excited to be in Germany for the first time that this feeling was slightly overpowered.

Florian arrived with a handmade sign with my name on the front and on the back BOON NUGGETS (a very important new vocabulary word that may not have been introduced into the dictionary yet). Shortly after we settled into the car, and began our journey to Schmalkalden which turned out to be about a 4 hour drive. When we got close to Florian's city we stopped in a nearby town to visit some of his friends. They were all hanging out at the town youth club, which unlike to US, they were able to drink and smoke in. His friends were all very nice but I was a little overwhelmed because they all were talking so much German. Although some did talk to me in English and one of his friends had just hitchhiked from Switzerland (where he is living a working) and he had very good English.

We only stayed there for a little while and then continued on to Florian's home. It was pretty dark the whole ride so I couldn't see very much but when we got to Florian's home I could see that it had a very nice view of the town below! Florian's house was really nice and his mom had just re-done the bathroom which they were very proud of (I got to take a shower in it the next morning...). After talking a while, meeting his cat tommy, and having some snacks, we went to bed (I got my very own room).

No comments:

Post a Comment